- 1½ tablespoons ghee or avocado oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, finely chopped
- ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 8 dried shiitake mushroom caps, rehydrated and sliced (reserve 1 cup of stock)
- 1 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoons red curry paste (more curry paste=spicier soup)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 lemongrass stalk, chopped
- 3 cups spinach
- 8 slices pork belly, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces ramen or rice noodles
- remaining cilantro
- green onion, sliced
- limes for squeezing
- Before you get cookin', rehydrate shiitake mushrooms for 30 mins. Add hot water to the bowl of mushrooms and cover. Once 'shrooms have marshmallow-like fluff to the caps, thinly slice and remove stalk. Reserve the stock for later use.
- Heat oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic, and onions. Stir occasionally until onions are translucent, 3-4 mins.
- Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms have softened and browned, 6-8 mins.
- Add red curry paste and mix well into onion/mushroom mixture. Add chicken stock, shiitake stock, coconut milk, fish sauce, and lemongrass. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Stir in ¼ cup of cilantro and cook for an additional 15 mins.
- While the soup is simmering, start cooking the pork belly. Coat the bottom of a skillet with a thin layer of oil and heat over a medium flame. Add pork belly to the pan and cook until well-browned on both sides, 4-7 minutes. You'll want both sides to be nice and crisp. Once cooked thoroughly, transfer to a plate and add a whisper of salt on both sides (optional).
- In a separate large pot, cook the ramen or rice noodles in boiling water for 4-5 minutes or as directed on the package. While you're waiting for the noodles to cook, add spinach to the pot of red curry soup and reduce heat to low.
- Just before serving, remove lemongrass from the soup and discard.
- Once noodles have finished cooking, drain and divide among 2-3 bowls. Ladle soup over noodles and top with remaining cilantro, green onion, pork belly, and a squeeze of a lime wedge.