- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup shallots, chopped
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts, sliced into coins
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 - 28 ounce cans San Marzano crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken (or vegetable) stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, + more to taste
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- parmesan, grated
- Italian parsley, finely chopped
- Heat butter and olive oil in a dutch pan over medium-high heat. Add onions, shallots, leeks, and sauté for 7 minutes, stir occasionally taking care to not let the mixture get brown/crispy. Add carrots and celery and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, milk, heavy cream, pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until mixture has slightly thickened. Stir occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper, stir to combine and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to carefully blend bisque to desired consistency. If using a stand mixer, carefully ladle soup into the blender. You may have to do this in 2-3 batches.
- Serve hot and garnish with fresh parmesan, parsley, and a drizzle of olive oil.