BAT Sandwich with Lemon-Basil Mayonnaise
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:20 minutes
- Servings:2 sandwiches
- 8 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon or 16 slices thin-cut bacon
- 4 slices ciabatta bread, toasted once bacon is cooked
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, thick slices
- Two handfuls arugula
- 1½ teaspoons quality olive oil
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Kosher salt, I use Diamond Crystal brand
- ½ cup quality mayonnaise
- 22 fresh basil leaves,
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ small lemon, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, optional
- 1 clove garlic
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Using a cast iron or baking sheet with a wire rack rack, place bacon in the oven and cook for 10 minutes or until bacon edges curl and desired crispiness is achieved. Once cooked, remove excess grease by using a paper towel-lined plate.
- While bacon cooks, start making lemon-basil mayonnaise. Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and pulse until basil leaves are finely chopped. You may have to stop the food processor a few times and scrape the sides down. Place in a sterilized container and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add arugula, olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt (optional). Mix well and set aside.
- Once bacon is cooked and drained of excess grease, toast ciabatta bread.
- Spread lemon-basil mayonnaise on both sides of toasted ciabatta bread.
- Next, top with arugula.
- Add beefsteak tomato slices. Top with a whisper of freshly cracked black pepper.
- Add bacon slices.
- Top with second slice of toasted ciabatta. Slice diagonally.