Bread and Butter Pickles
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:3 hours 30 minutes (including 2-3 hour curing in refrigerator)
- ¼ white onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ tablespoons kosher salt
- 1¾ cups distilled vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flake
- ¼ teaspoon black peppercorn
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 sprig dill
- 1½ tablespoons water
- Rinse and slice cucumber into ¼ inch coins and thinly slice onion. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Add kosher salt, mix well, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours. After each hour, mix well, cover and place back in the refrigerator. This step is important as the salt will draw moisture from the cucumbers, yielding a crisp pickle.
- Rinse cucumbers and onions very well, removing salt.
- In a medium saucepan add vinegar, dill, garlic, spices, and water and bring to a boil. Lower to medium heat and cook for 3 minutes.
- Place cucumber and onion in a sterilized jar. Layer cucumber and onion evenly so that you can pack the jar. Fill with hot brine.
- Cover and once the jar comes to room temperature, place in refrigerator.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to one month. Ideal if you allow 24 hours before consuming, this gives the pickling liquid time to impart flavor to the pickles.