Buttery Dinner Rolls
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:2 hours 40 minutes
- Servings:16 rolls
- 1 packet active dry yeast (equals 2¼ tsps)
- ¼ cup warm water (110°-115°F)
- ½ tsp sugar
- dinner Rolls
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk, warm (110°F)
- Prepare your yeast. In a small bowl, add yeast, warm water, and sugar and stir well. Will take ~roughly 15 minutes to activate yeast.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Set aside.
- Cover and set in a warm place. Yeast foam should double in size in 15 minutes.
- In a large standing mixer bowl, add 2 cups of flour, sugar and salt and whisk until ingredients are well mixed.
- Add 5 tbsps of melted butter, yeast mixture, and milk. Using your knead hook, turn standing mixer on low and slowly add remaining 2 cups of flour.
- Increase mixing speed to high and knead for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp of melted butter to a large mixing bowl. Add the dough, cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm place for 1½-2 hours. This will be the first rise.
- Once dough has doubled in size, remove plastic wrap and punch down the dough. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for two minutes.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal portions and roll into a ball. As you roll, lightly pull the sides to the bottom until the tops of the dough ball are smooth. Do this until you’ve rolled 16 balls.
- In a 9 x 13 baking pan, add 4 tbsps of butter to the pan, tilting to coat the bottom and sides.
- Add a the dough to the pan. Each row should have 4 balls of dough.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place in a warm place. Wait 1 hour or until the dough balls have doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook rolls for 20 minutes or until golden brown. If dinner rolls are browning too soon, lightly cover the pan with foil.
- When ready, remove from oven and brush tops with remaining 2 tbsps butter.
- Best if eaten warm.