By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:1 hour 45 minutes
- 8 cups water
- 1 chicken breast, bone-in + skin on
- 4 pieces scallions, cut into thirds
- 1- 3-inch piece ginger, cut into thick coins
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¾ cup sushi rice, lightly rinsed
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- scallions, thinly sliced
- Chili oil
- ginger, freshly grated
- fish sauce
- fried shallots
- jammy eggs
- In a pot, add chicken, water, scallions, ginger, garlic cloves and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for 40 mins or until chicken begins to shred.
- Remove and discard scallions, ginger and garlic. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add rice and salt and bring to a boil. Once contents come to a boil, scrape the bottom, ensuring rice has not stuck to the pan. Lower heat to a simmer and cover pan.
- Cook for 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes, making sure rice does not stick to the pan.
- While cooking, shred chicken breast with a fork. This will be added to the congee at the end. If you’re making fried shallots and.or jammy eggs, this would be a great time to start.
- Once the congee has thickened (similar to oatmeal), turn off heat and stir in shredded chicken.
- Ladle congee into bowls and add desired toppings. I prefer topping with scallions, fresh ginger, fish sauce, and chili oil.
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- Heat oil in a saucepan.
- Add shallots and cook until golden brown.
- Remove shallots from saucepan and drain on a paper towel.
- 2 eggs
- ice bath, bowl filled with ice and cold water
- Fill a saucepan with hot water and bring to a boil.
- Using tongs, slowly drop eggs into saucepan.
- Cover and set a timer for 8 minutes
- After 8 minutes, place eggs in ice bath and set a timer for 4 mins.
- Peel eggs and set aside. Best if you wait to cut in half when ready to eat, as these can get messy.