Chicken Pot Pie
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:1 hour 40 minutes
- Servings:3 6-inch pies
- ½ pound chicken breast, boneless + skinless
- quality olive oil
- kosher salt
Pot Pie Filling
- fresh black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ tablespoon good olive oil
- 1¼ cup onion, diced
- 1¼ cup carrots, diced
- ¾ cup celery, sliced
- ¼ cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme, finely chopped
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoona all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Defrost puff pastry according to package. If using Dufour pastry dough, it will take 2-3 hours to defrost in the refrigerator. Plan accordingly.
- Preheat oven to 350°F rub chicken breast with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Place on baking sheet and cook for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Shred chicken and place in bowl and set aside for later use. You should have ~2 cups of shredded chicken.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and stir. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add celery and carrots and cook for 3 minutes or until softened. Add parsley and thyme and cook for 1 minute.
- Add wine and cook until liquid is reduced by about half. Add flour and mix until mixture thickens. Add broth, salt, pepper and mustard seeds. Cook for 3 minutes. Add heavy cream, stir to combine and cook for one minute.
- Turn off heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and add water.
- Scoop filling into desired pie pan(s) and top with pastry dough. Crimp pastry dough along the sides to make it stick to the pie dish.
- Brush dough with egg wash, making sure to brush along the sides. Using a knife, cut four small slits in the middle of the dough, as this will allow for steam to release from the pie.
- Place on a baking sheet and cook in oven for 25 minutes or until pastry dough is golden brown.
- Remove from oven, top with flaky salt (optional) and cool for 10 minutes before diving in.