Thai Chicken and Rice Soup
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:30 minutes
- ½ lb ground chicken thigh
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup cilantro roots, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg white
- 1½ teaspoons fish sauce
- 1½ tablespoons thin soy sauce, or reduced sodium soy sauce
- 6 cups chicken broth, low sodium-I use Bonafide Provisions chicken broth
- 1½ tablespoons fish sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice, day-old
- ¼ cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup green onion, thinly sliced
- ginger, thinly sliced
- fried garlic
- fish sauce (optional)
- poached egg
- To make chicken ball mixture, combine all chicken ball ingredients into a bowl and mix with your hands. Be sure to mix the ingredients well. Once thoroughly mixed, check to see if the mixture is squeaky and sticky. Add meat mixture to a sandwich size resealable bag.
- Add stock, soy sauce, fish sauce, and pepper to a dutch oven and bring to a boil.
- While stock mixture is boiling, lower the heat to simmer. Trim 1½ inch corner of the resealable bag and squeeze over the pot. When about one inch of of mixture comes out, use a butter knife to coax the mixture into the pot. Don’t worry about the shape of the chicken, it will form as it cooks. Cook for about 2-3 mins or until the balls float to the top.
- Add rice and bring it to a boil. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Taste soup and adjust seasoning with fish sauce and thin soy sauce if necessary. Ladle into 2-3 bowls and top with cilantro, green onions fried garlic, fresh ginger, and poached egg (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1½ tablespoon avocado oil
- Heat oil in a saucepan.
- Add garlic and cook until golden brown.
- Remove garlic from saucepan and place on paper towel-lined plate. Top soup when ready to eat.