Chicken and Shrimp Lumpia
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:1 hour 30 mins
- Servings:25-40 lumpia
- 2 lbs ground chicken thigh (do not use breast meat as it will be too dry)
- ¼ lb shrimp, deveined + finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups carrots, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup green onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup of garlic, minced
- 40 lumpia wrappers (Tropics brand is good, sold at Asian markets)
- Small bowl of water to seal lumpia
- oil for frying
- Prepare vegetables as described and add all ingredients to a bowl.
- Mix thoroughly until the vegetables are well incorporated into the meat.
- Place the filling in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to allow the flavors to marry.
- 30-mins before you begin wrapping the lumpia, take the wrappers out of the package and separate each wrapper from the pressed stack. Place under a towel to keep the wrappers moist.
- Place 2-3 heaping tablespoons of the filling onto the wrapper and use your fingers to even out the filling, creating a straight line. Reserve 1½ inches of space on both ends.
- Fold the sides in, and begin to roll the lumpia neatly. Be sure to keep the roll tight.
- Moisten the edge with water to seal.
- Place under a towel to keep the lumpia moist.
- Repeat until you’re finished!
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, add oil (about 1 inch depth) and heat oil for about 3-5 mins. Check the heat–dip one end of the lumpia and if it begins to fry, then the oil is hot enough.
- Gently slide 4-5 lumpia into the oil and fry until all sides are golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.