Coconut Lime Mussels
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- ½ cup shallots, finely chopped
- 1½ tablespoons ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk, I use Aroy-D
- ½ cup chopped cilantro leaves, divided
- 3 pounds green mussels or 2 lbs black mussels
- 2 teaspoons lime zest, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1½ teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce + more to taste
- steamed rice (optional)
- baguette (optional)
- limes for squeezing
- Heat sesame oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic, and cook for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add shallots and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, coconut milk, sugar, and ¼ cup chopped cilantro. Bring to a simmer and cook for 4 minutes, giving the mixture time for the flavors to marry.
- Stir in mussels, fish sauce and lime zest. Simmer just until mussels are cooked through, 4-5 mins. Add more fish sauce if needed.
- Stir in lime juice and remaining cilantro. Turn off flame.
- Serve over rice or with baguette and squeeze lime over mussels.