Coconut Lime Shrimp
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:20 mins
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- ½ cup onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 pound large shrimp, deveined (a must!) deshelled (optional)
- 2 teaspoons lime zest, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons fish sauce + more to taste
- steamed rice
- limes for squeezing
- Heat sesame oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic, and cook for 2 mins or until fragrant. Add onions and cook for an additional 2 mins.
- Stir in broth, coconut milk, sugar, and ¼ cup chopped cilantro. Bring to a simmer and cook for 4 mins, giving the mixture time for the flavors to marry.
- Stir in shrimp, fish sauce and lime zest. Simmer just until shrimp are pink and cooked through, 4-5 mins. Add more fish sauce if needed.
- Stir in lime juice and remaining cilantro. Turn off flame.
- Serve over rice and squeeze lime over shrimp.