Crispy Fish Sando
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:40 minutes
- Servings:4 sandwiches
- ½ cup good quality mayo
- 4 teaspoons fresh dill, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, I use Diamond brand
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 2½ teaspoons sweet relish
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 tablespoons shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon caper brine
- 4-4.5 ounce cod filets
- Avocado oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups panko crumbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt + more for seasoning fillets
- freshly cracked pepper for seasoning fillets
- 1 lemon, halved
- 4 soft white buns
- 4 slices American cheese
- Add all tartar sauce ingredients in a bowl. Mix well to combine and set aside.
- Start with 2 medium bowls. Add panko breadcrumbs + kosher salt to the first bowl (mix well) and egg in the second bowl. Whisk egg until combined well, set aside.
- Heat 1½ inches avocado oil to 350°F in a medium dutch oven.
- Season both sides of cod with salt and pepper. Keep one hand clean and free of assembly ingredients.
- One at a time, proceed with dipping both sides of cod in the egg wash, gently shaking off excess egg. Place cod into the bowl with panko and with your free hand, sprinkle panko mixture over cod until well-coated.
- Set on baking sheet. Repeat until all cod are coated.
- Place fish in oil and turn once after bottom turns golden brown or after the 3-4 minute mark. Transfer to a wire rack, as this will keep fillets from getting soggy. Sprinkle with a whisper of sal and squeeze of lemon. Repeat with remaining fish.
- Meanwhile, toast the buns and spread tartar sauce on both sides of the bun. Place fillet on bottom bun, followed by a slice of cheese and sandwich together. Serve immediately.