Curried Butternut Squash Soup
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:40 minutes
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 cup shallots, diced
- 2 ½ tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2½ tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 pounds butternut squash, diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large bay leaf
- ⅔ cup canned coconut milk plus 2 tablespoons for topping
- 1½-2 tablespoons maple syrup, grade A
- Kosher salt for seasonings
- In a dutch oven, add avocado oil, garlic and shallots, and sauté until shallots appear translucent.
- Add Thai red curry paste, ground coriander, and mix well into aromatics. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add diced butternut squash, stir to mix with ingredients, then add bay leaf and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Turn off heat. Remove bay leaf and discard. Use an immersion (or hand) blender and puree to desired consistency. Alternatively, carefully soup the contents into a blender. You may have to do this in batches.
- Stir in coconut milk and maple syrup. Adjust seasoning with salt, if necessary.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a drizzle of coconut milk.