Filipino Pork Adobo
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:1 hour 30 minutes
- 2 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 7 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon soy sauce (Silver Swan Lauriat brand)
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ cup vinegar (Datu Puti brand)
- 1¼ cup water
- Add oil to a hot skillet over medium-high flame. Add garlic and onion and sauté until fragrant and soft, 2-4 minutes.
- Add pork and cook until browned on all sides, 4-5 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, pepper, peppercorns, sugar, and bay leaves and stir until well-mixed. Add vinegar (DO NOT MIX) and cover the skillet with a lid. Wait until contents reach a boil before stirring.
- Once the liquid reaches a boil, gently stir and add water. Cover with lid again and simmer for 1 hour or until the pork is very tender.
- Remove the lid and cook for 15 minutes to reduce the sauce. The color should be a deep, dark brown and taste slightly tangy.
- Serve with steamed rice Enjoy!