Garlic and Mushroom Skillet Chicken
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:40 minutes
- 4 bone-in chicken thigh
- 2 tablespoons ghee or avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 7 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2½ cups cremini mushrooms, halved
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- ¾ cup chicken bone broth, I use Bonafide Provisions chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Remove chicken from refrigerator 30 minutes to 1 hour before cooking.
- Clean and pat dry chicken thighs. Season both sides generously with kosher salt and pepper.
- Heat cast-iron over high heat for 3-4 minutes. You want to be really hot before adding chicken.
- Add ghee or avocado oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to a cast-iron skillet and lower to medium-heat. Carefully add chicken thighs, skin side down and cook for 15 minutes, do not move chicken around during this time. You want this side to be golden brown and skin nice and crispy. Flip and cook for another 15 minutes or until the thickest part of the chicken internal temperature reading is 160°F. Once thoroughly cooked, remove from the pan and set aside to rest (the temperature will continue to rise at 165°F as it rests). If the skin begins to brown too quickly, lower heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add garlic cloves. Cook garlic for 1-2 mins stirring often until fragrant. Add mushrooms and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add chicken broth and garlic powder to the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 3 mins or until the liquid has reduced.
- Stir in cream and add adjust seasoning with kosher salt if necessary. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until sauce slighty reduces. Add chicken thighs back to the pan. Cook for 1 minute. Done! Serve hot. Enjoy!