By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:
- 1 chicken breast, bone in + skin on
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1-3 red thai chili, cut in half
- 1½ tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1 lemongrass, outer stalk removed, lower 5 inches cut into coins
- ½ cup laksa paste
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 package of tofu puffs
- Juice of one lime
- 8 oz vermicelli or ramen style noodles
- cilantro, finely chopped
- In a dutch oven or large pot, add chicken breast, chicken broth, and water and bring to a boil. Once chicken cooks thoroughly (~20mins) remove from the pan and place on a plate and allow chicken to cool. Set chicken broth aside for later use.
- In a separate pot and over medium high heat, add oil, ginger, garlic. Cook for 3-4 mins or until mixture is soft and fragrant. Add lemongrass and chilis and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add laksa pasta, mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk, chicken broth, and fish sauce and cook for 20 minutes.
- While the broth is cooking, shred chicken breast by hand and place on a plate. Set aside.
- Cook noodles according to the package. By now, the broth should almost be done.
- Once broth is finished cooking, turn off the flame and add the tofu puffs. Stir in lime juice and add more fish sauce if needed.
- Add noodles, shredded chicken, and beansprouts. Pour broth over the bowl (be sure to load up on tofu puffs!) sprinkle cilantro over soup and enjoy!
- I will sometimes add chili paste and an extra squeeze of lime for an extra bit of tang.
Note: If you want a smoother soup, strain the broth as you pour it into your bowl. This will catch the ginger, garlic, and lemongrass.