Lemongrass Roasted Chicken
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:1 hour 40 minute
- 1 3-4 pound whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 stalks lemongrass, outer layer removed, bottom 4-inches used
- ¼ cup garlic gloves, peeled + smashed
- ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- Rinse the bird and be sure to clean the cavity well. Some birds come with a package of giblets–don’t forget to remove it!
- Start with the stuffing. Beat the bottom four inches of lemongrass stalk with the back of your knife to loosen the fibers a bit. Slice into coins and add to the bowl along with the rest of stuffing ingredients.
- Stuff the bird.
- Add all marinade ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
- Place chicken on a baking sheet or roasting pan. Pour marinade over chicken and coat with marinade. Gently break the skin of the chicken (along breast + thigh) and coat with marinade.
- Place chicken in refrigerator and marinate for 2 hours (best if marinated overnight)
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator and place in the oven. Good rule of thumb is to roast for 15 mins per pound of chicken.
- After roasting for 30 mins, rub the skin with the butter 1 ½ tsp of butter .
- Check the internal temperature using a meat thermometer. Aim for the thickest part of the chicken. Once you get a reading of 165°F and the juices run clear, the chicken is done.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from oven and rub the remaining 1 ½ tsp of butter all over the chicken.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 mins before carving.