Mushroom Noodle Soup
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:1 hour 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons ghee or avocado oil
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 15 dried shiitake mushroom caps(save 1 cup of stock)
- ¾ pound mixed mushrooms; oyster, cremini
- ⅓ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 7 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 8 ounces soba noodles
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- sesame seeds and sesame oil
- fish sauce for drizzle-drizzle
- Before you get cookin', rehydrate shiitake mushrooms for 30 mins. To do so, add them to a bowl, add hot water, and cover bowl. Reserve the stock for later use.
- Heat oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Stir occasionally until mixture turns a golden brown. Add mushrooms, chili flakes and pepper.
- Cook until mushrooms have softened and browned (10-12 minutes).
- Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, fish sauce, shiitake stock and chicken stock. Bring it to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for an additional 20 mins.
- Taste the broth and add more soy sauce, fish sauce and pepper if needed.
- In a separate large pot, cook the soba noodles in salted boiling water for 4-5 minutes or as directed on the package.
- Once noodles have finished cooking, drain and divide among 2-3 bowls. Ladle mushroom broth over noodles and top with cilantro, sesame seeds, sesame oil, and a whisper of fish sauce. Slurp!