Pasta alla Vodka
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup shallot
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tube double-concentrated tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- ¾ cups heavy cream
- 2½ ounces parmesan reggiano, freshly grated
- 1 pound dry pasta of choice
- kosher salt
- ¾ cup pasta water, reserved
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot + garlic and cook until softened, 6 minutes.
- Add butter, tomato paste, and red pepper flakes. Stir and press tomato paste into pan. Cook for 4 minutes or until tomato paste turns deep + rusty red in color and begins to caramelize. Add vodka and stir until liquid evaporates. Be sure to cook for at least 2 minutes to ensure alcohol cooks off.
- Turn heat to low and slowly add cream. Stir until sauce is smooth and creamy in texture. Remove skillet from heat.
- Using a large dutch oven, cook pasta according to package. Be sure to add salt to the water –salty as the sea, as they say.
- Receive ¾ cup of pasta water and drain pasta into a colander.
- Return to skillet containing sauce and turn heat on low. Add ½ cup of pasta water and 2 ounces of parmesan cheese. Still until cheese dissolves and water is fully incorporated into sauce. Add pasta and stir to combine. Add more pasta water (if needed, I typically only add ½ cup)
- Divide pasta among bowls and top with parmesan.