Pork Lumpia Shanghai
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:2 hours
- Servings:45-50 lumpia shanghai
- 2½ pounds ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups carrots, finely chopped
- 1½ cups celery, finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, I use Diamond Crystal brand
- 50 lumpia wrappers
- 1 egg cracked into a bowl, set aside
- Oil for frying
Red Chili Sauce
- ¾ cup red chilis, not spicy
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch (cornstarch works, too) + 2 tablespoons hot water
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix with your hands (bare hands is better).
- Mix thoroughly until the vegetables are well incorporated into the meat.
- Place the filling in the refrigerator for 1 hour, to allow flavors to marry.
- 30 mins before you begin wrapping the lumpia, take the wrappers out of the package and separate each wrapper from the pressed stack. Place under a towel to keep the wrappers moist.
- Place 2-3 heaping tablespoons of the filling onto the wrapper and use your fingers to even out the filling, creating a straight line. Reserve 1½ inches of space on both ends.
- Fold the sides in, and begin to roll the lumpia neatly. Be sure to keep the roll tight.
- Moisten the edge with raw egg to seal.
- Place under a towel to keep the lumpia moist.
- Repeat until you finish through the filling!
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, add oil (about 3 inches in depth) and heat the oil until it reaches 350°F (use a kitchen thermometer to get an accurate reading).
- Gently slide 4-5 lumpia into the oil and fry until all sides are golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
Sweet Chili Sauce
- Add all ingredients except tapioca starch and hot water to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 4 minutes maintaining heat level at a simmer.
- Mix tapioca starch and hot water in a small bowl, then slowly add to the sweet chili mixture.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove saucepan from heat and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve in a ramekin with lumpia shanghai.
- Store leftover sweet chili sauce in a sterile air-tight container. Keep refrigerated. Sauce is good for 1 week.