Pumpkin Spice French Toast
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:25 minutes
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1½ tablespoon packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt (I use Diamond Crystal)
- 1 loaf challah bread cut into 1¼ inch slices
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Avocado oil (or neutral oil) spray
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup mascarpone
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In an 11x8 dish, add eggs and whisk until no noticeable egg whites are separated.
- Add pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, salt, and brown sugar and whisk until well combined.
- Next, add whole milk, heavy cream, and vanilla extract and whisk until combined.
- Dip challah bread into egg mixture. Set a timer for 4 minutes, punching challah slices into mixture after 1 minute has passed..
- After 4 minutes, flip and set timer again. Preheat cast iron skillet.
- Once cast iron is hot, add ½ tablespoon butter and spray bottom or skillet with avocado oil spray. Once butter melts, carefully add french toast and cook for 4 minutes or until bottom is golden brown. Flip and repeat cooking time.
- Serve immediately with whipped mascarpone (optional, see below) a dusting of pumpkin pie spice and maple syrup.
Optional - Whipped Mascarpone
- In a food processor, add all ingredients and process on “High” until mixture turns into a whipped texture. Place in a bowl and leave in refrigerator, covered until ready to use.