By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:25 minutes
Choose Your Veggie(s)
- 2 cups, sliced (red onion, cucumber, sweet peppers, carrots, cauliflower (florets))
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup distilled vinegar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar (if you’re not a fan of extra tangy, sub for ¼ cup distilled vinegar)
- 1½ tbsp cane sugar
- 1½ - 2 tsp salt (depending on preferred saltiness)
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds (great for red onion, cucumber, carrots, cauliflower )
- ¼ tsp peppercorns (great for red onion, cucumber, cauliflower, carrots )
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (great for red onion, carrot, cauliflower, cucumber)
- 1-2 Bay leaves (great for cauliflower, carrots)
- Dill (great for cucumber, carrots, cauliflower)
- Rosemary + Thyme are also great additions!
- Add sliced vegetables to a clean, sterilized glass jar.
- Add all brine ingredients to a pan and bring to a boil. Adjust salt + sugar to your liking as needed.
- Pour brine over the vegetables and be sure to cover completely with the brine. Secure with a lid and let it do its thing!
I leave my jars out overnight and place them in the refrigerator the following day. You can also wait for the jars to cool to room temperature before placing in the refrigerator.