Shallot and Ginger Chili Oil
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:30 minutes
- Servings:10 ounces
- 2 tablespoons ginger, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- 1½ tablespoons hot red pepper flakes (add > for spicier oil)
- 4 tablespoons gochugaru
- 1½ teaspoons five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 star anise
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup avocado oil
- Add all ingredients (except avocado oil) to a heat-proof bowl.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes. If you have a kitchen thermometer handy, you want the temperature of the oil to reach 350ºF. If you don't have a thermometer, you'll want to achieve a noticeably thin, shimmery oil.
- Carefully pour the oil into the bowl containing the ingredients. You’ll notice a good amount of sizzling as the oil comes into contact with the spices–that’s expected.
- Leave the oil to cool for to room temperature (20 mins). Once the oil reaches room temp, give the oil a swirl with a spoon and transfer to a sterilized jar and keep refrigerated. Enjoy with stir-fry veggies, garlic rice, dumplings, eggs, soups, noodles, and experiment with it in your cooking.
Chili oil keeps for a while, although, I’m sure you'll find yourself to an empty jar in no time.