By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish or ground horseradish
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon tabasco
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 15 jumbo shrimp, deveined, shells on
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, Diamond Crystal brand
- 1 lemon
- ice bath
- Lemon wedges for squeezing
- Flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- Ice for platter
Cocktail Sauce - best if prepared 2-3 hours or night before
- In a bowl, add ketchup, prepared or ground horseradish, worcestershire sauce, lemon zest, lemon juice and mix well. Leave in the refrigerator until ready to plate.
- Devein shrimp, but do not remove shells. Shells help retain flavor and will be removed after poaching.
- Prepare an ice bath. Set aside.
- In a dutch oven, add water, kosher salt, bay leaf, juice of lemon + squeezed lemon halves. When poaching liquid comes to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and add shrimp. Cook shrimp for four minutes. Test one to make sure it is cooked through.
- Once shrimp are cooked, add to ice bath for 6 minutes. Once shrimp are completely cooled, remove shells until you reach the tails. Leave tail on, as it serves as a good handle and keeps fingers mess-free when dipping.
- Place shrimp in a bowl, cover and leave in refrigerator until ready to plate.
- Place cocktail sauce in a small bowl and center on platter. Layer platter with ice and top with shrimp. Garnish with lemon wedges and flat-leaf parsley. Enjoy!