Skillet Chicken with White Beans and Kale
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:40 minutes
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 cups lacinato kale, cut into 1½ inch pieces
- 1 cup cannellini beans, drained
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, stems removed and chopped
- ¾ cup chicken bone broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 lemon, juiced
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes to 1 hour before cooking.
- Clean and pat dry chicken thighs. Season both sides generously with kosher salt and pepper.
- Heat cast iron skillet over high heat for 3-4 minutes. You want the cast iron to be really hot before adding the chicken.
- Add avocado oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to a cast-iron skillet and lower to medium-heat. Carefully add chicken thighs, skin side down and cook for 15 minutes, do not move chicken around during this time. You want this side to be golden brown and skin nice and crispy. Flip and cook for another 15 minutes or until the thickest part of the chicken internal temperature reading is 160°F. Once thoroughly cooked, remove from the pan and set aside to rest (the temperature will continue to rise at 165°F as it rests).
- Reduce the heat to medium and add garlic cloves. Cook garlic for 1-2 mins, stirring often until fragrant.
- Add chicken broth and garlic powder to the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 3 mins or until the liquid has reduced.
- Stir in cream, beans and kale. Adjust seasoning with kosher salt if necessary. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce slightly reduces and kale is tender. Add lemon juice and stir. Add chicken thighs back to the pan. Cook for 1 minute. Done! Serve hot.