Smashed Cucumber Salad with Tahini-Miso Dressing
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:25 minutes
- 1 pound Persian cucumbers
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, I use Diamond Crystal brand
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons white miso
- ½ teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2½ teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon warm water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
Drizzle over salad
- 1 tablespoon shallot ginger chili oil
- 1½ teaspoons roasted sesame seeds
Smash + Salt Cucumber
- Cut cucumbers diagonally lengthwise.
- Place cut side down on a cutting board.
- Using the flat side of a chef’s knife or a rolling pin, smack the back of each cucumber until it splits. Slice diagonally into ½ inch pieces and place in a strainer and add kosher salt.
- Mix cucumber well with hands and set aside (with a bowl underneath to catch water) for 20 minutes.
- Start on dressing while waiting on cucumbers.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a bowl.
- Mix well until smooth. Set aside until ready to use.
- Make sure cucumbers are thoroughly drained.
- Place cucumbers in a bowl.
- Start with 2 tablespoons of tahini-miso dressing. Mix well and taste. Add more dressing is desired. Top with homemade chili oil and roasted sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately.