Taho: Filipino Silken Tofu with Sago
By Whisper of Yum
- Total Time:1 hour
- sago (or tapioca pearls)
- ½ cup of sago or tapioca pearls
- water for cooking
- 1½ cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 ounces silken tofu
- steamer basket for warming
- Start with cooking the sago or tapioca pearls. Cook as directed on package. Once cooked, drain and return to pot used to cook pearls. Add 1½ tablespoons of arnibal to lightly flavor pearls. Set aside.
- Let’s make the arnibal. In a saucepan, add water, brown sugar, and vanilla extract and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for 3-4 minutes or until you begin to smell caramelized notes from from the mixture and the texture is syrup-like. Turn off heat cover and set aside.
- In a steamer lined with parchment paper, carefully add silken tofu and cook for 10 minutes or until warmed through.
- To serve, scoop thin layers of tofu into a small cup. Top with warm arnibal and sago (or tapioca pearls). Serve warm.